Lagow is a small village in Swietokrzyskie Mountains. Due to its location the place is of attraction to active tourists; however, sightseeing enthusiasts will also find something for themselves here.
Even though Lagow is a small village, it may boast of many monuments. Worthy of interest are especially: the church from the 15th century with late gothic portals and stellar vault, the Dule gully, the Zbojecka cave, in which many interesting species of insects (including the Porrhomma egeria spider, Cholera agili beetle and Arrhopal ites pymagenes wingless insect) and bats (like the Daubenton’s bat, the greater mouse-eared bat and the lesser horseshoe bat) may be met, as well as then-Jewish cemetery and a current aspen copse by the road to Zareby.
Lagow is also a good destination for active visitors. There are three tourist trails running through the village: the blue one to Checiny and two green trails – the first one to Nowa Slupia and the second one (bike trail) going around the village. Hiking enthusiasts, on the other hand, may go for a trip to Swiętokrzyskie Mountains.
Lagow is a small village in Swietokrzyskie Voivodeship, in Kielce County. It is situated in Swietokrzyskie Mountains, on the eastern edge of Kielce-Lagow Valley, by the Lagowica River. There are a country road no. 74 and voivodeship road no. 756 running through Lagow.
The first records about Lagow come from the 11th century. According to Jan Dlugosz’s chronicles, in 1086 Prince Wladyslaw Herman gave the village to the Chapter of Kujawy, which made it a seat of a castellan. It is very probable that in those times, approximately 2.5 km from Lagow, on a hill which is still called by the locals Zamczysko (Polish for castle), there was a castle. In 1375 in Sandomierz the queen of Poland and Hungary, Eizabeth, issued the privilege allowing for transforming the village into town; the privilege was admitted 15 years later by King Wladyslaw Jagiello. In the 15th century the town became a craft centre, or actually a pottery centre. The golden age for Lagow ended with Tatars’ invasion in 1502; the town was completely burnt then. In 1869 Lagow lost the town rights.