Myslenice is a town in the Lesser Poland Voivodeship, 30 km from Krakow, hence it is a good starting point to Krakow trip. It is attractive both for enthusiasts of skiing and hiking and lovers of history and sightseeing. The town is famous for its numerous interesting monuments, like the castle in Myslenice and a church of St. James the Apostle (a point on the Way of St. James) and provides tourists with a lot of attractions. The greatest one is undoubtedly the Ski Centre Myslenice with ski, foot and bike trails.
Myslenice is a listed town. The most import ant sites there are: market square (established in 1458, according to Magdeburg rights), ruins of the 13th-century-old castle, a church of Navity of Mary from 1466 and Greek House from the late 17th century.
A special monument in Myslenice is the church of St. James the Apostle from the 15th century. Near the church there are two cemeteries, where one may admire classicist tombstones from the 19th century as well as Tombs of the Unknown Soldier and Soviet Soldier. The church is one of the points on the Way of St. James.
Myslenice is, however, not only monuments, but also a lot of tourist attractions. Full of such attractions is Zarabie district (it is located on the other bank of the Raba, hence the name). It has Chelm mountain (654 metres above sea level), with a view tower, ski lifts and Poland’s longest chairlift as well as landscape park, where numerous events take place.
Myslenice is a town and seat of the county in the Lesser Poland Voivodeship, with the population of approximately 18 thousand. Myslenice belongs to Krakow agglomeration.
There are a country road no. 7 (connecting Krakow with Chyzne) and voivodeship road no. 967 (to Lapczyca) running through Myslenice.
First records about Myslenice are from the 1250s. At that time it was a defensive settlement, with a castle and fortifications, designed to protect Krakow (then-capital of Poland).
In 1342 Myslenice received its Magdeburg rights town charter and it started to develop into a local commercial centre. Among visitors who came here were King Wladyslaw Jagiello and Queen Jadwiga, German emperor Sigismund, kings of Hungary and Denmark as well as Polish writer Mikolaj Rej, who finished writing the third book of Zywot czlowieka poczciwego here.
In 1557 Myslenice came under the jurisdiction of Krakow castellans, who were much more concerned with their city than with Myslenice. The town began to decline. In the 1630s and 40s it regained its importance as a result of miraculous painting of St. Mary, which was brought here. Unfortunately, the golden age did not last long. As a result of the deluge two churches were burnt and the painting of St. Mary was stolen.
In 1772 (First Partition of Poland) Myslenice was annexed by Austria, and only after the WW1 was rejoined to Poland.