Dzierzoniow is a town in the south-western Poland, in the Lower Silesian Voivodeship. It may boast of many interesting monuments and therefore it is an unquestionable attraction for history lovers. Moreover, its location near the border with the Czech Republic makes the town a perfect starting point to Poland’s southern neighbour.
Dzierzoniow is a beautiful listed town. While in here one should visit St. George Church from the second half of the 14th century, Our Lady Queen of Poland Church built in between 1795 and 1798 and designed by Carl Gotthard Langhans, Sukiennice (Cloth Hall) as well as the town hall and the tower from the 15th century.
Dzierzoniow is a town and seat of a commune in the Lower Silesian Voivodeship. It is situated in Dzierzoniow Valley, in the foot of the Owl Mountains from the south and Sleza Range in the north. The town lies by the Pilawa river.
First records about Dzierzoniow are from the 1250s. At first Dzierzoniow remained under the rulings of Wroclaw
Dukes, but later it became one of the most important centres in the Duchy of Swidnica
In the end of the 14th century the Duchy of Swidnica and Jaworzno became Czech’s property, and in the next century was destroyed by epidemics and passages of armies.
In 1526 Dzierzoniow came into hands of the Habsburg family. It was a golden age for the town. Trade and craftwork developed, cloths and other textiles were manufactured. This wonderful period ended in 1618 with the outbreak of the Thirty Years’ War.
In the 18th century, as a result of the Silesian Wars (1740-1763), Dzierzoniow was joined to Prussia. It was a very important time in the town’s history. It hosted diplomats from Prussia, Austria, Holland, England and Poland as well as King Frederick William III of Prussia and Alexander I of Russia.
In the 19th century the town together with the region became the Silesian textile centre. Unfortunately, soon came the crisis in the textile industry, strikes and the so called Uprising of Silesian Weavers. Also in this period Dzierzoniow made many investments. In 1855 the town was connected to a rail network and in the turn of the 20th century the local Owl Mountain railway came into existence.
After the Second World War Dzierzoniow was joined to Poland. At that time textile and electromechanical industries began to develop here.
After the fall of communism many large Silesian enterprises were liquidated. Currently there are mostly small and medium companies in Dzierzoniow.