Konstantynow Lodzki is a middle-sized town in Lodz Voivodeship. It is a place with a rich past and interesting monuments; hence, it is of attraction to history enthusiasts. It is also a great starting point to Lodz tours.
Konstantynow is a town with an interesting past and many monuments connected with it, like the Jewish cemetery in Laska Street from the 19th century and with the area of 0.9 ha.
Other worthy of a visit places are churches, including neo-gothic St. Mary Church built in between 1826 and 1832 and listed St. Joseph the Worker Church in Jan Pawel II 31 Street.
Konstantynow Lodzki is also a good starting point to the voivodeship capital, Lodz, which lies 10 km from the town.
Konstantynow Lodzki is a town and a seat of the commune in Lodz Voivodeship, Pabianice County and by the Ner River. It is situated on Laska Plateau, at the altitude of 165-172 metres above sea level, approximately 10 km from the voivodeship capital, Lodz. Konstantynow is populated by 17.377.
Konstantynow was established in 1821 on the grounds of Zabice Wielkie village as a private settlement of Mikolaj Krzywiec-Okolowicz. The name Konstantynow was given to the place three years later and in 1830 it obtained town rights. Unfortunately, in 1870 Konstantynow lost the rights to regain them in 1924.
As a result of the Second World War the place was joined to the Third Reich and fully germanized. Its name was at first changed for Konstantinow and in May 1943 for Tuchingen. The second name was due until the end of the German occupation, i.e. 18 January 1945.
On 5 January 1940 Germans established an expatriation camp under the name Durchgangslager Konstantinow for Poles, in which 1.200 prisoners were murdered. They were buried in the local cemetery. The camp was liquidated on 16 August 1943 in order to create a new germanization camp for children from Belarus, Russia and Ukraine, called Ost Jugendverwahrlager der Sicherheitspolizei in Tuchingen. Just before the end of the occupation, the camp’s staff escaped and the children from the camp were sent to Russia.