Poland

Ksiaz Wielki

Ksiaz Wielki is a small village in the south of Poland. The place is an ideal destination for everyone who is tired of hustle and bustle of the big city and would like to rest and relax in the open air. It is also a great starting point to sightseeing Krakow (54 km).

 

Ksiaz Wielki TOURISM

Although Ksiaz Wielki is rather small, it boasts of many monuments. Those especially worth visiting are: the church of Holy Spirit from 1381, the church of St. Adalbert from the 14th century, the Renaissance palace designed by Santi Gucci from the late 16th century and the synagogue from 1846. Due to its close proximity to Krakow, Ksiaz Wielki is viewed as a good starting point to this city.  

GEOGRAPHY

Ksiaz Wielki is a village and seat of the commune in the Lesser Poland Voivodeship, in Miechow County. It lies by the Nidzica, 14 km from the county capital.  

HISTORY

First records about Ksiaz Wielki are from 1120. In 1385 it was given town rights and became a seat of a parochial school. Ksiaz Wielki annually held the so called sejmiks in between the 14th and the 18th centuries. Until the end of the 18th century Ksiaz Wielki was a seat of county. It, however, lost this status after the last partition of Poland. After the Third Partition of Poland Ksiaz Wielki was joined to Austria and in 1809 to the Duchy of Warsaw. Six years later, as a result of the Congress of Vienna, Ksiaz Wielki became a part of the Kingdom of Poland. Because its inhabitants took part in the January Uprising, Ksiaz Wielki was punished by the loss of the town rights in 1875. During the German occupation of Poland, there was a ghetto in Ksiaz Wielki. On July 1 and 2, 1944 the Gestapo and German police pacified the village by burning it and murdering 12 people. It was a revenge for a partisan movement in the region.

HOTEL & CITY PAGES:

to top