If sunbathing on a broad sandy beach and swimming in clean water sounds like your idea of a vacation, then Mrzezyno – a small fishing village and a summer resort by the Baltic Sea – is the right place for you. Owing to its warm, sunny microclimate, a stay here is also recommended to anyone suffering from an allergy or upper respiratory system disease.
This highly picturesque sea bathing location is situated in an enclosed area surrounded by extensive woodland of pines, designated as a Natura 2000 site. The white sand of the beach forms gentle dunes, which are covered with the local plants.
While the population of Mrzezyno normally numbers about 1,700, in July and August this increases greatly by the number of visitors mainly from Poland and Germany who come for the perfect opportunity for rest and recreation. Families, individuals and groups are catered for by the wide choice of hotels, guesthouses and campsites.
There are still some 18th century fisherman’s houses to be found in Mrzezyno, and a yacht marina as well. Tourist ships and boats depart from the port, which is the centre of life for the village. Moreover, Mrzezyno hosts some interesting festivals, and these currently include the Gliding Day, the Sea Music Festival and the Amber Fair, but the number increases each year.
If you love sightseeing then you will appreciate Mrzezyno’s convenient location in close proximity to the charming town of Trzebiatow, Kolobrzeg with its New Old Town and other attractions, as well as Miedzyzdroje, where strolling along the Star Promenade is a must.
The small village of Mrzezyno is situated in the north of Poland, beside the Baltic Sea on the West Pomeranian Coast. It lies at a distance of 250 km from Berlin, 110 km from Szczecin, 20 km from Kolobrzeg and 10 km from Trzebiatow. The closest airport is in Goleniow, some 60 km away.
Mrzezyno is located 25 m above sea level, at the mouth of the Rega River. The local maritime climate is characterised by relatively small differences between summer and winter temperatures.
Before Mrzezyno was established in the mid-15th century, the inhabitants of Trzebiatow used the port of Regoujscie. However, in 1456 this port ceased to exist, although there are two versions of why this happened. One version says that the port was silted up by storms, whereas the other underlines the disgraceful role of the citizens of Kolobrzeg, who were supposed to destroy the competition by sinking their ships.
Nevertheless, the inhabitants of Trzebiatow soon dug out a new 1.5 km course for the Rega River. This canal was a great technical achievement at the time, and from that time the number of inhabitants grew: in 1538 there were 19 families living in Mrzezyno, and then by 1587 there were 24.
In the 16th century, Mrzezyno was used as a departure point for merchants travelling to Bergen, Lubeca, Copenhagen and Bornholm. Not only was trade from Trzebiatow done by sea through the port of Mrzezyno, but also from Gryfice.
By the end of the 18th century, the Rega ceased to be navigable due to silting, but from that time Mrzezyno started to develop as a seaside resort. When Gebhard von Blucher, one of the leading generals of the battle of Waterloo, was stationed in Trzebiatow with his regiment in the years 1807-1808, he would often bathe in the sea in Mrzezyno, and therefore can be considered to be the first significant patient of the developing resort. Later, in 1842, the young Otto Bismarck stayed in Trzebiatow with the 9th Lancers and he also took advantage of the beautiful beach.
In 1912, Mrzezyno was connected with Trzebiatow by a narrow-gauge railway line, which considerably increased the number of visitors.
The First World War hindered further development of Mrzezyno, but soon after the resort regained its previous prosperity. Western Pomerania belonged to Germany by then and the resort became fashionable among young German artists. With the building of military installations on both sides of the Rega, the appearance and character of the site changed drastically.
During the Second World War, following the massive bombing of Peenemunde, launching pads for the V2 rockets were located in western Mrzezyno.
The village received its present name after the war, having been known previously as Ost Deep or Treptower Deep. In 1950, Mrzezyno was turned into a military territory, and tourism virtually stopped, a situation that lasted for seven years.