Rabka-Zdroj is a small town in Lesser Poland Voivodeship, located approximately 40 km from Zakopane. This beautiful town is a popular Polish spa. Rabka’s climate values and local mineral water springs (up to 30oC) are used to cure circulatory and respiratory systems’ diseases, mainly in children.
Rabka is a famous Polish spa. Its climate values and water springs are used to cure circulatory and respiratory systems’ diseases, mainly in children.
There are as many as nine water intakes (up to 1,200 metres deep and 30°C hot), mostly iodine-chloride-sodium-bromine mineral water springs, a natural therapy centre, a health resort park, four sanatoria and four hospitals, three of which are for children.
Rabka, besides its unquestionable healing values, is a perfect destination for hiking and sightseeing enthusiasts. Active tourists may go for a foot or bike trip to the nearby mountain peaks: Turbacz, Lubon Wielki and Babia Gora, and sightseeing lovers are recommended to visit local monuments. Worthy of interest are especially: then-wooden church and today’s seat of Wladyslaw Orkan Museum, St. Florian Chapel from the 19th century, St. Teresa Church and Chapel from 1928 as well as the remains of a manor complex from the 18th century. Interesting tourist attractions in Rabka-Zdroj are also Polish Dolls Museum Rabcio and Order of the Smile Museum (Order of the Smile is the award given by children to adults).
Rabka-Zdroj is a town in southern Poland, in the Lesser Poland Voivodeship, in Nowy Targ County
. It lies in Rabka Basin, at the altitude of 500–560 metres above sea level and in the point where Poniczanka, Slonka and Skomielnianka streams flow into the Raba River.
Rabka has good road and railway connections with many Polish cities. There are country roads no. 7, 28 and 47, international road E77 as well as a railway line no. 104 connecting Zakopane with Krakow
and Tarnow running here.
The first records about the town come from 1254. In a document of King Boleslaw V the Chaste Rabka was called “Sal in Rabschyca”. The name refers to local mineral water springs, which were most probably already then known and used.
Research from 1858 proved that the local waters are Europe’s strongest iodine-bromine mineral water springs. In 1864 Rabka became a popular spa and the first treatment centre for children was established eight years later. The town’s unique microclimate boosted its growth in popularity, especially as a spa for children.
After the Second World War Rabka was a significant tuberculosis treatment centre. When TB was no longer a social disease, local sanatoria began to treat mainly asthma and upper respiratory tract diseases.
In 1999 the town changed its name from Rabka to Rabka-Zdroj.