Tluszcz is located approximately 30 km from Warsaw. There are numerous railway and road routes going through the commune that enable visitors to easily and quickly access Poland’s capital, Ostroleka or Bialystok. However, the proximity to these cities is not the sole asset of Tluszcz. Being a place with the rich past, the town is above all a paradise for history lovers.
Tluszcz region is rich with cultural traditions and has thousands of monuments of both material and spirituals culture. In the past Cyprian Kamil Norwid and Wladysław Podkowinski among other outstanding Polish artists lived and created here.
The best time for a visit in Tluszcz is February and March, for the Feasts with Book (Polish: Biesiady z Książką) are held then. It is a unique mass event, in which numerous printing houses take part. There are hundreds of books presented, both new and classic literature. At Feasts with Book you may meet the books’ authors, literature critics, actors and singers.
Independently of the time of the year, worth visiting is the Museum of Tluszcz Land (Polish: Muzeum Ziemi Tłuszczańskiej), which presents a rich tradition of the region. We can find there exhibits documenting the history, culture, and ethnography of Tluszcz and its neighbourhood. Interesting monuments are also the Transfiguration of Jesus Church from 1930s and the water tower from the 19th century. The important historical events are commemorated by the statues of “Siewba” and soldiers of 32nd Home Army Regiment of Foot as well as a small war period cemetery from 1920.
Tluszcz is a town located in the Masovian Voivodeship, in Wolomin county. It is a significant junction with rail routes going in five directions: Tluszcz – Malkinia Gorna – Bialystok, Tluszcz – Wolomin – East Warsaw/Warsaw Wilenska, Tluszcz – Wyszkow – Ostrołeka, Tluszcz – Radzymin – Legionowo/Zegrze as well as Tluszcz – Minsk Mazowiecki – Pilawa.
Tluszcz lies by the Cienka river, the tributary to the Rzadza.
Tłuszcz’s beginnings date back to 1477, when Tlusciec village was set up. The territory of Tluszcz was a part of the Kamienczyk county, Nur land, Masovian Voivodeship. The process of inhabiting almost desolated Warsaw and Nur lands developed only in the 15th century. At that time many villages in the close neighbourhood of Wolomin came into being. Tluszcz became the king’s village in 1526, after Masovia was joined to Poland.
A golden age of Tluszcz was disturbed by the Deluge in 1655, when the assailants pillaged Warsaw neighbourhood. Another damages were made by Swedish and Polish-Saxon troops during the Great Northern War (1700-1721). After the partitions of Poland Tluszcz was joined to Austria and in between 1809 and 1815 was a part of the Duchy of Warsaw. As a result of the Congress of Vienna in 1815 Tluszcz was joined to the Kingdom of Poland.
The building of the railway had a great impact on the development of Tluszcz. In 1862 Warsaw-Petersburg railway connection was established and in the village itself a railway station was erected. It caused the influx of people – dwellers of the neighbouring villages – and Jews, who reinforced trade and craft here. In 1884 Tluszcz was populated by 400 people; there was also a primary school. Tluszcz was then a popular tourist resort.
During WW1, in August 1915, German troops took the town of Tluszcz. A year later Tluszcz together with the neighbouring villages was given the status of the commune. In November 1918 (after Poland regained independence) the town was joined to Poland.
In the times of the interwar Poland Tluszcz was still developing fast. In 1921 the glassworks “Przyszłość” (English: Future) and in 1936 a railway to Radzymin and Legionowo came into existence. An independent parish was built at that time and in 1932 the Transfiguration of Jesus Church was erected.
During the German occupation of Poland, Tluszcz was a significant resistance movement centre. On July 30, 1944 during operation Tempest Polish Home Army took a town of Tluszcz and its neighbourhood without a fight. The next day they won a battle with a German armoured train. Nevertheless, on August 3 German tanks appeared here and forced the Home Army soldiers to surrender. For a few weeks Tluszcz was in the hands of the enemy. After the town’s liberation and the end of the war, the devastated Tluszcz began to be rebuilt.
In 1967 Tluszcz was given the town rights and eight years later was joined to the Ostroleka Voivodeship. In 1997 the town hall was erected here and the building of the new church started.