The beauty of mountains has been attractive to people for a long time. It is caused by their charm and great climate with cold winters and warm summers. Milowka will surely attract every nature lover since it is a perfect place for mountain trips.
Milowka is a perfect destination both for nature lovers and keen sportsmen. There are as many as four tourist trails: one foot trail (green) and three bike trails (black, blue and green). Moreover, on LKS Milowka stadium sport enthusiasts will find tennis, volleyball and basketball courts among others.
Each of the villages that constitute Milowka commune has its unique beauty and valuable monuments. The most interesting are: Stara Chalupa (English: old house) museum from 1739, Assumption of Mary Church, Jewish cemetery, St. Anthony chapel and the memorial on Sumowa Grapa from 1910.
Interesting is the fact that in 1999 Milowka was appointed „a golden place” by Katowice Radio, which means that you may have also a great fun here.
Milowka is a village in the Silesian Voivodeship, in Zywiec county, by the Sola River. In between 1975 and 1998 it belonged administratively to Bielsko-Biala Voivodeship. Currently, it is inhabited by approximately 5 thousand people.
Milowka probably came into existence in the second half of the 15th century; however, the first records about this settlement are from 1608. By 1623 it belonged to the Komorowski family, later to Queen Constance of Austria who was the second wife to Sigismund III Vasa and then it was inherited by King John Casimir. From 1675 Milowka changed owners many times, until it was given to Archduke Charles of Austria. Milowka lasted in the hands of the House of Habsburg until the end of WW2.
Milowka inhabitants were in 90% Poles and in 10% Jews. In 1882 Jews built a synagogue in the village and a cemetery on the Syberia’s slopes. It was one of the two Jewish cemeteries in Zywiec area, which was devastated and robbed by Germans during the Second World War.
During the interwar period Milowka was a very popular holiday resort. At that time a new school, a wooden bridge connecting Milowka with Nieledwia and the second concrete to Kamesznica were built. Also a fire station and two banks came into existence then.
On September 2, 1939 Milowka was taken over by Hitler’s troops, and freed on April 6, 1939. After the end of the war the village began to develop. At first, National Council was appointed. By 1950 the municipal board was taking care of the village’s administration and the Commune Councils were responsible for its economy, culture and social life.
The second half of the 1990s brought an intensive economic and social development. The best evidence for that is Milowka’s taking first place in the Radio Katowice contest (1999). Milowka was then chosen a “Golden Place” (Polish: Złota miejscowość).