Trzebinia is a tranquil place located in the Lesser Poland Voivodeship. This picturesque town often serves tourists as a base on their trip to Krakow.
Trzebinia is an ideal place for nature lovers. We find here different types of forests, reed beds and a lot of interesting protected species of plants, like: lilium martagon, houseleek and Clasping Twistedstalk. Trzebinia forests are inhabited also by animals, including: grey partridges, pheasants, roe deer, deer, fallow deer, hares, raccoon dogs, foxes as well as cranes, black grouses and otters. The place that deserve special recommendation is the “Ostra Gora” nature reserve. It has the total area of 7,22h and is dominated by 200-year-old beeches.
The town attracts also those looking for entertainment since there are a lot of cultural events organized in Trzebinia. Fans of active relaxation in water are especially advised to visit the recreational resorts on the Chechlo reservoir, open-air pool called “Balaton” and the “Aqua Planet” indoor pool.
As for worthy a visit monuments, we find a lot of them in Trzebinia commune. We recommend especially the Zieleniewski mansion from the 14th century, the palace and park complex in Mloszowa (also from the 14th century) and St. Mary’s shrine from 1962.
Trzebinia is a small town in the western part of the Lesser Poland Voivodeship, located at the altitude of 270-450 meters above the sea level. It covers the area of 31,3 km2 and is inhabited by 20 thousand people.
The town is a very important junction providing good public transport. Due to its situation by the A4 motorway and 79 trunk road, it is easily accessible both by car and by train. Moreover, it is conveniently located in a close proximity to two international airports, Balice (30 km from Trzebinia) and Pyrzowice (62 km from Trzebinia).
The first records about Trzebinia come from 1319. In the middle of the 15th century the estate was bought by Dzierslaw Karwacjan. A that time most of its area was covered by manor houses with fowarks (giant farms). In between the 14th and 16th centuries Trzebinia had many owners. Most of them were Krakowian burghers responsible for ore extraction.
In 1415 Nicolaus Klaus Kezinger came into possession of the estate. The Kezinger family ruled over Trzebinia all the 15th century. At that time the settlement became an important mining centre.
In 1584 Trzebinia was taken over by George Schilchra, who afterwards assumed the name Trzebinski and Abdank coat of arms. His family wielded the control over Trzebinia until the beginning of the 19th century.
As a consequence of the Third Partition of Poland, Trzebinia was joined to Austria. After 1809 it was incorporated into Duchy of Warsaw and later to the Republic of Krakow (Free City of Krakow). After the unsuccessful Krakow Uprising, the whole area of the Free City was annexed to Austria and remained there until Poland’s gaining independence.
On September 6, 1817 Trzebinia obtained the town rights and three years later became the possession of the Zieleniewski family.
The period of the 19th and the 20th centuries was characterised by an intensive development of industry. In Trzebinia occurred coal mines, zinc smelters and glass works. Unfortunately, the dynamic growth was interrupted by the outbreak of World War II.
Already on September 1, 1939 Trzebinia was bombed by German air troops. Although this area was defended by Operational Group Silesia (a part of Krakow Army), Germans quickly managed to defeat them and perform first executions. On October 9 Trzebinia was annexed to the Third Reich.
During the Second World War there were two prisoner of war camps, three work camps and the Auschwitz-Birkenau sub-camp located in Trzebinia. Jews that survived mass shootings in the beginning of occupation were transferred to ghetto in Chrzanow and later transported to Auschwitz concentration camp.
On January 23, 1945 Trzebinia was freed by the 9th Army of the 1st Ukrainian Front. Ended the World War II, the town quickly regained its former attractiveness. In between 1957 and 1958 Trzebionka mining enterprise and in 1962 Siersza II (currently: PKE SA) came into existence.
On January 1, 1999 the town was joined into the Lesser Poland Voivodeship.